Notepad++ is a powerful text editor that has many features that may not be immediately obvious to users. Here are a few tricks that not many people know about:
- Multi-line editing: By holding the ‘Alt’ key and clicking on different lines, you can select multiple lines of text at once, allowing you to make changes to multiple lines simultaneously.
- Column mode editing: By holding the ‘Alt’ key and dragging the mouse, you can select text in a rectangular block. This is useful for making changes to multiple columns of text at once.
- Record and playback macro: Notepad++ has a built-in macro recorder that allows you to record a series of actions and then play them back at a later time. This can be a great time saver if you find yourself repeating the same actions frequently.
- Compare documents: Notepad++ has a built-in document compare feature that allows you to compare two documents side by side and highlight the differences between them.
- Auto-completion for any language: Notepad++ has a built-in auto-completion feature that can be used for any language. You can create your own auto-completion list by using the ‘User Defined Language’ menu.
- Customizable menu: You can customize the menu by going to “Settings > Shortcut Mapper > Main Menu” and configure the menu items and the shortcut keys.
- Regular expression search and replace: Notepad++ has a built-in regular expression engine that allows you to use regular expressions when searching and replacing text. This can be useful for more advanced search-and-replace operations.
- Bookmarking: Notepad++ has a built-in bookmarking feature that allows you to mark specific lines of text for easy navigation. You can use the “Ctrl+F2” to toggle a bookmark and “F2” to navigate through bookmarks